Atlanta Campaign Historical Route in Paulding County
DeGress Battery - The Battle of Dallas began near here, on May 28, 1864, as Confederate forces were ordered to test the Federal line by attacking its right flank. After early success, the Federal line was found still to be in place, with Captain Francis Degress' battery supporting their counter-attack.
The Orphan Brigade - A delay in ordering Confederate Joseph Lewis' Kentucky Orphans and one other brigage to stay in place, caused them to attack Union Major General John A. Logan's well entrenched 15th Corps. The Confederates lost nearly 50% in what is known as the Battle of Dallas.
Battle of New Hope Church - Attempting to flank the Confederate army. Encamped at Allatoona Pass, Federals marched southwest, led by Hooker's 20th Corps. But a Confederate division under Major General Alexander P. Stewart arrived here first, repulsing the Federal attach on May 25, 1864.
New Hope Cemetery - During the Battle of New Hope Church, many Confederates used tombstones here as shields. The cemetery now contains the graves of their casualties. This densely wooded and deep-ditched area became "the Hell Hole" to the Federal units that sustained heavy casualties.
Pickett's Mill Battlefield State Historic Site -- One of the most pristine battlefield sites in the nation, the battle occurred here on May 27, 1864, as Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood's Federal division led an attempt to flank the Confederate right. It resulted in heavy Federal casualties.
For complete information on the Civil War Historic Driving Route, visit www.GCWHT.org